Nestory Irankunda repeats ‘perfect’ free kick for Watford.
Nestory Irankunda has stunned his boss at Championship club Watford by scoring a second spectacular free kick in seven days — but the increasingly feted Socceroos star has been reminded that he needs to do even more to become a great player.
Following his spectacular curler that earned Watford a draw against Swansea City last week, the teenager replicated the feat with a similar 25-yarder in the 81st minute that secured a point for the Hornets in a 2-2 draw with Southampton on Saturday.
It was another stunning performance from the 19-year-old winger who couldn’t make the mark at German giants Bayern Munich but has been flourishing for Watford in England’s second-tier since being bought in the summer in a £3 million move.
“I’m a game changer,” said Irankunda, after the acrobatic celebration he promised was nearly as dramatic as the goal.
It all left Paulo Pezzolano, his Uruguayan boss at Watford, singing Irankunda’s praises once more, but this time with a cautionary note.
“I’m not really surprised about the free kicks because we knew about Nestor’s quality, but we didn’t expect those free kicks in such a short space of time,” said the player.
“I can’t recall seeing somebody score two free kicks like that in the same game — those were flawless and gorgeous free shots. “But I am going to stay on top of Nestory because he needs to keep growing and developing.”
“He must comprehend the importance of continuing to work. He can accomplish so much more. “In terms of conditioning, if he makes 20 sprints in a game today, he needs to make 30 in the future; if he makes three assists now, he has to make six.
And if he scores two goals, he must score four in the future. “He needs to develop his tactical skills, including knowing when and how to press his opponent.
“We want to help Nestory understand the great player that he can be, and to help him become that great player that everybody was expecting in the last two or three years.”
Irankunda will now return home, where he has been summoned to the Socceroos squad for the first time in nearly a year, to face New Zealand in Canberra on Friday and Auckland the following Tuesday.
“We’ve probably seen him mature as a player,” Australia manager Tony Popovic said on Friday.
“He’s still maturing and improving. And we expect to see him in the next two, three, or four World Cups.
Read more on Straightwinfortoday.com
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.